Learn more about the Remote Office Hours Queue application. This article focuses on the workflow for hosts. We use the terminology "hosts" to describe anyone who is hosting the meeting, which is often instructors, advisors, and other staff and faculty. However, anyone with a U-M login and a U-M BlueJeans account can be a host. We use the terminology "attendee" to describe anyone who is attending the meeting, which is often students. However, anyone with a U-M login (no BlueJeans account needed) can be an attendee.
Choose to learn how to use Remote Office Hours Queue as a host by watching the tutorials above or reading the article below. You can also refer to the tutorial video at their source.
Navigating to Your Host Queue
- Log in to the Remote Office Hours Queue application and click Manage Your Own Queues. You can also navigate directly to https://officehours.it.umich.edu/manage/.
- Your Queues page will open with a list of all of your existing queues. Click on an existing queue to view it.
- Your queue will open with a list of attendees waiting in your queue, if any.
Creating a New Queue
Navigate to your My Meeting Queues page (https://officehours.it.umich.edu/manage/).
Type the name you want to give the new queue in the Queue name... field. This name is what students will see when they navigate to your queue. You can change it at any time.
Click Add Queue.
Click on the newly created queue to manage it.
Adding Other Hosts to Collaborate on a Queue
You can add other hosts who can see and manage the queue just as you can. This is a good option for instructional teams leading office hours together, academic advisors collaborating on drop-in advising, etc.
- Navigate to the Manage page for the queue.
- Enter the uniqname of the host you want to add in the Uniqname… field.
- Click Add Host.
Opening and Closing Your Queue
Hosts can open and close their queues to control when attendees can join the queue.
- Open queues can be joined by attendees
- Closed queues cannot be joined by attendees
If you close a queue while attendees are in line, this does not delete the attendees' meetings from the line. You can decide how to handle the remaining meetings.
Sharing Your Queue URL with Attendees
Get the URL to share with attendees by following these steps:
- Navigate to your queue, as described above.
- Click Copy next to the Queue URL.
View Your Queue As an Attendee
To understand what your attendees will see when they visit your queue, click View as visitor. To navigate back, click manage it in “This is your queue, you can manage it.”
Meeting with Attendees Using Remote Office Hours Queue
- Navigate to your host queue in Remote Office Hours Queue.
- Make sure your queue is in Open status so that attendees can join.
- If you are collaborating with other hosts on the same queue at the same time, click Assign to Host... and select yourself in the drop-down to indicate to other hosts that you are meeting with this attendee so they know to move on to the next attendee.
- Click on Start Meeting for the first listed attendee from your Remote Office Hours Queue. This will open the meeting in BlueJeans.
Conduct the meeting in BlueJeans.
Note: the first listed host in the Manage page for the queue is set as the host of the BlueJeans meeting, meaning that only that person is able to record the meeting in BlueJeans. The Remote Office Hours Queue team is working on a future enhancement to make it possible for any listed host to record the meeting.
- End the meeting in BlueJeans.
- Return to your queue in Remote Office Hours Queue.
- Remove the attendee with whom you just met from the queue. This updates the queue and tells the next attendee that it is their turn.
- Repeat steps 3-8 for each attendee.
- Remote Office Hours Queue - Intro
- Remote Office Hours Queue - Attendee
- Videoconferencing Best Practices
How can we help you?
Contact the ITS Service Center:
- Chat: chatsupport.it.umich.edu
- Call: 734-764-HELP (764-4357)