This document provides steps for installing Office 365 productivity apps locally on your personal devices. These instructions should not be used for installing the apps on MiWorkspace (MWS) managed machines. If you would like Office 365 installed on your MiWorkspace managed machine, you can self-install the apps from the Software Center on Windows machines or the apps should already be installed on macOS machines.
Install the Office 365 Apps
- Navigate to portal.office.com.
- Under Sign in, enter your UMICH email address and click Next.
- Enter your UMICH password and click Sign in.
- In the upper right corner, click Install Office and select Office 365 apps.
- Open the file and follow the setup instructions.
Additional Microsoft software can be purchased from the ITS Software Store (not part of U-M Office 365).
Note: If you choose to download and install the Office 365 applications to your personal device(s), you must follow the policies outlined in SPG 601.07 | Responsible Use of Information Resources. As a reminder, you will lose access to these applications when you lose your active affiliation with the university.
Windows device management error
When trying to set up Office 365 on a personal device running Windows, you may receive this error: "Something went wrong. Your account was not set up on this device because device management could not be enabled.”
Note: These instructions were completed using Windows 10.
To fix this error:
- Sign out of all Office 365 applications.
- From any Office 365 application (e.g., Word, PowerPoint, etc.), click your name in the top right corner of the screen.
- Click Sign out in the drop-down menu.
- In the notice that appears, click Sign out.
- In the lower-left corner of your desktop, enter “Credential Manager” in the Type here to search field and hit ENTER. This will take you to the Credential Manager in the Control Panel.
- Click Windows Credentials.
- Scroll through the list, select any credentials for Office 365, and click Remove.
Note: There may not be any credentials for you to remove from this list.
- In the lower-left corner of your desktop, enter “Settings” in the Type here to search field and hit ENTER. This will take you to the Windows Settings menu.
- Select Accounts.
- From the left sidebar, select Access work or school.
- Select Work or school account. (If you are connected to more than one account, ensure it is the account associated with your UMICH email address.)
- Click Disconnect and when prompted, click Yes to confirm this action.
- From any Office 365 application (e.g., Word, PowerPoint, etc.), click Sign in in the top right corner of the screen.
- When prompted, enter your UMICH email address and password.
Note: You may need to authenticate with Duo before proceeding.
- Under Stay signed in to all your apps, uncheck “Allow my organization to manage my device” and click OK in the dialog box.
Important: Different versions of Office 365 may show slightly different wording for this dialog box.
- In the final dialog box, click Done. The error should be fixed.