This document provides instructions for enabling U-M Zoom in your Canvas course(s). (The Zoom integration in Canvas works the same regardless of whether it is used through Ann Arbor, Dearborn, or Flint.)
You may also refer to the U-M video walkthrough of enabling Zoom in the course navigation.
To enable Zoom via Canvas course navigation:
- Click Settings in the left-hand navigation of your Canvas course.
- Click the Navigation tab.
- Find Zoom in the list of hidden apps. (It is usually toward the bottom.) Click and drag the Zoom app from the list and drop it in the order you'd like it to be in the course navigation list (under "Drag and drop items to reorder them in the course navigation.") You can also click the three-dots icon beside the Zoom app and select Enable.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save.
Tip: To remove Zoom from the course navigation, follow steps 1 and 2 above, click the three-dots icon beside Zoom, and click Disable.
Zoom in Canvas warning message
If you click on "Zoom" in the course navigation and a warning message appears, it is because you have not yet activated your U-M Zoom account. Anyone with a Teacher, TA, Designer, or Admin role in the Canvas course must first activate their Zoom account to use Zoom through Canvas.
- Go to https://zoom.umich.edu/meeting, which will automatically create your account.
- Return to Canvas and refresh the page.
If you continue to see this warning message after creating your account, refer to Can't Use Zoom through Canvas - Warning Message Displays for more information.
Using Zoom in Canvas for the first time as an Instructor
The first time you use the Zoom app in Canvas, you may see a message that states, "Zoom LTI Pro is requesting access to your account." If you do, click Authorize. Zoom LTI Pro is the tool that connects U-M Canvas to U-M Zoom.