Note: If you are using a University of Michigan MiWorkspace managed device, VPN software and profiles are configured for you. If you need help connecting to VPN on a managed device, please contact the ITS Service Center. These pages provide VPN configurations for unmanaged devices (e.g. research users, BYOD users).
Note: Sponsored affiliates are able to use the VPN if they are issued a University of Michigan ID (UMID) number with their sponsorship credentials.
Download the VPN Profile
- Select the appropriate VPN profile for your university role and Mac device:
- When prompted, click Continue.
- When prompted, authenticate using your university uniqname and UMICH password.
- Follow the configuration prompts to install the profile.
- The profile network connection configuration will appear. Enter your uniqname and kerberos password. Staff, faculty, students, and sponsored affiliates will be prompted to authenticate twice - this is normal and allows users the option to choose to tunnel all traffic or only tunnel traffic to and from U-M networks.
- Click Apply.
Connect Using the VPN
Important: You must have a network connection to connect via the VPN.
- In Network Preferences, select the VPN profile you would like to use. For future ease of use, you may select the option to “Show VPN status in menu bar.
- Click Connect.
Friday, April 8, 2016