The following document provides information on the data available to create membership in a reference group for use in Grouper at U-M. Your use case must have a policy that requires data that is already available in Grouper reference groups. Using Grouper’s reference groups to create your group membership will keep your membership up to date as changes occur in University source systems.
Grouper sources its institutional data in near real time from Mcommunity. Mcommunity contains the current state of all identities affiliated with U-M receiving updated data from authoritative sources of identity data across all three campuses as changes occur.
Grouper offers institutional data curated into reference groups, meaningful cohorts, for use to create groups for access control.
As the membership of the reference groups changes along with the current state of identity data at U-M, groups using the reference groups to build membership for access control are automatically updated giving the right people the right access at the right time.
Reference Groups Available for use in Access Policy Groups
Institutional Roles for Flint, Dearborn and Ann Arbor Campuses
The following are types of institutional roles available for each campus.
- Faculty: Academic, instructional, and research appointments; includes emeritus faculty (job families 8,9,10,11,13,14,19,20,22-emeritus).
- Regular Staff: Identified as Regular with a current appointment. Regular staff has a status of active, suspended, short-work break, leave, or paid leave and are not in the faculty job families.
- Temporary Staff: Identified as Temporary with a current appointment. Temporary Staff has a status of active, suspended, short-work break, leave, or paid leave and are not in the faculty job families.
- Enrolled Student: Students enrolled in at least one credit hour for "current" term; next term information is used during the gap between terms.
- Student: Students continuing and incoming students regardless of enrollment; includes detached study.
- Sponsored Affiliate: Identities from the Sponsor System; includes active sponsored affiliates only.
- New Hire: Includes some employee information and future start date.
- Retiree: Retired faculty and staff from any U-M campus, regardless of other appointments that may still be active.
Grace Periods for Institutional Roles
Responding to a common need for grace periods when services end, we also provide institutional role groups, including current institutional role members and members who have lost the institutional role within the last 33 days.
Human Resources Data
Grouper has the following reference groups created from HR data available for use in access policy groups.
All employees in a department
All employees with an active employee status in a department
- All employees on leave in a department
- All employees who are retired from a department
- All faculty in a department
- Faculty with an active employee status in a department
- Faculty on leave in a department
- Faculty who are retired from a department
- All regular staff in a department
- Regular Staff with an active employee status in a department
- Regular Staff on leave in a department
- Regular Staff who are retired from a department
- All New Hires in a department
- All Emeritus in a department
- All Temporary Staff in a department
See below for an example of a department with all possible departmental reference groups.
- Departments roll up into Department Groups.
- The groupings above are also available for Department Groups and VP Areas.
- Sponsored affiliates are in a reference group by their sponsored department.