- MCommunity Groups
- Manage a Shared Account
- Change the Password
- Shared Account Request Form
A Shared Account allows units and organizations to use U-M Box and U-M Google accounts for email, calendars and collaborating on files. It is owned by U-M instead of an individual. Individuals manage the account through their own account and can transfer it to others as needed. With their own individual account and weblogin, designated people can send and receive email, post events and share calendars, and collaborate on files, all acting as the Shared Account. Instead of logging into them, Shared Accounts are mainly managed through an individual’s own account.
Request a Shared Account through the Shared Account Request Form.
Important: Avoid creating a Google+ identity or profile with a Shared Account. Create a Google+ page or community instead.
- All email messages can be kept together in one mailbox and individuals can send email as the Shared Account from their own account.
- Group events can be scheduled by a Shared Account instead of an individual who may leave.
- Folders and files can be owned by a Shared Account, reducing the risk of data loss if an individual leaves.
Shared Accounts are created with an MCommunity group, but members of the group do not sync to U-M Box and U-M Google. This means:
- They cannot be used to invite members of the group to:
- an event in Google Calendar.
- collaborate in Google Drive.
- collaborate in Box
- Access and permissions are managed within Box and Google and not the MCommunity group.
- Anyone with the login and password can access the Shared Account, even if they leave or are removed from the MCommunity group.
Important: Change the password when someone who knows it no longer needs access.
Note: In MCommunity, under Rules Summary, Shared Accounts have Sent to Google UMICH: No. This applies to Box as well.
Email sent to the Shared Account is also delivered to the members of the associated MCommunity group.
Send email from the Shared Account
- Add the Shared Account as an alias to your U-M Google Mail account.
- Select Settings from the gear icon.
- Click Accounts.
- Click Add another email address you own.
- Enter the account's display name and email address.
- Click Send Verification.
Note: A verification code is sent to all members of the MCommunity group.
- Enter the verification code and click Verify.
- Compose a message and use the drop-down list in the From field to select the Shared Account.
Important: The message is not stored in the Shared Account’s Sent Mail folder.
Access the Shared Account’s email as a delegate
- Log into the Shared Account.
- Once delegation is set up, the Shared Account will appear as an alternate account under your account image on the upper right. Click on the Shared Account to access.
- Delegates can read, send and delete messages on behalf of the account as well as access the account’s contacts.
- All activity done within the Shared Account window is attributed to the Shared Account.
Note: Sent mail is stored in the Shared Account’s Sent Mail folder.
Important: Vacation responder and auto-reply settings do not work with Shared Accounts.
Available Permission Settings are:
- See all event details
- Make changes to events
- Make changes AND manage sharing
With the Make changes AND manage sharing permission:
- The Calendar appears under My Calendars.
- The Calendar is available from the Calendar drop-down list when creating events.
- Copy an event from another calendar under More Actions.
Access the calendar with:
- the link in the notification email
Note: New members of the associated MCommunity group do not receive a notification email.
- the calendar ID located on the calendar settings page. Click the drop-down list to the right of the calendar's entry under My calendars. View the calendar by entering its ID in the Search field under Other Calendars.
- When selected, events on shared calendars appear with those on individual calendars. When updating or deleting events, make sure they are on the correct calendar.
- Because Shared Account MCommunity groups do not sync to Google, inviting a Shared Account to a calendar event does not invite the members of its associated MCommunity group.
Drive allows groups and departments to share files and allows for co-editing files. However, files placed in Shared Account folders are owned by the author, not the Shared Account.
To change file ownership to a Shared Account:
- Create a folder to contain the work. Change the ownership of the folder to the Shared Account.
- Share the folder with your collaborators.
- Drive does not have cascading permissions, so inform collaborators to change the ownership of new files and subfolders they create to the Shared Account.
Note: You cannot transfer ownership between UMICH and non-UMICH accounts.
Items stored in a Shared Account’s U-M Box folder are owned by that Shared Account and stay available if the file creators leave. Shared accounts are useful for: classes, workgroups, departments, teams, student groups and more. You can add and remove collaborators as their roles change.
The Standard Folder
A Shared Account’s standard folder appears in the co-owners' individual U-M Box accounts, where they can manage its contents. Items in that folder are owned by U-M through the Shared Account and remain available if collaborators leave.
Note: Shared Accounts cannot use Box Sync, but collaborators with edit or co-owner permissions can sync items in the Shared Account’s folder.
Move Items From an Individual’s U-M Box Account into a Shared Account
Only folder Owners, not Co-Owners, can move that folders items. Open the folder you wish to move from the All Files view. The Owner displays at the top of the collaborator list. If you are the owner, you can move the folder from your individual account into the folder owned by the Shared Account.
Managing a Shared Account
It is only necessary to log in as the Shared Account to:
- Delegate a Google Mailbox.
- Assign Make changes AND manage sharing Google Calendar permissions. Once one person has these permissions, they can assign them to others from their own account.
- Create additional U-M Google Calendars associated with the account and share them.
- Transfer ownership of Box folders and Drive files and folders.
- Move items out of Box’s trash that were deleted by someone else.
- Configure the Shared Account’s settings.
Logging into the Shared Account
Using a Chrome Incognito window (or a completely different browser), log in with the account's name and UMICH password.
Note: If you have a Box Shared Account created before August 1, 2016, and you do not have a UMICH password, contact the ITS Service Center.
Changing the Password
- Connect to the ITS Login Service (login.itd.umich.edu) with a secure terminal program using your own uniqname and UMICH password (not the name and UMICH password for the Shared Account).
- Dearborn campus, use login.umd.umich.edu.
- Windows: Use PuTTY.
- Mac: Use the Terminal program, which is included as part of the Mac OS.
- If your machine name is your uniqname, enter ssh login.itd.umich.edu
- If your machine name is not your uniqname, enter ssh firstname.lastname@example.org. Replace youruniqname with your own uniqname.
- Enter your UMICH password and press Return/Enter.
Note: Your password does not display. The name of the Login Service machine you are connected to followed by a percent sign displays. This is the prompt at which to enter commands.
- Enter kpasswd followed by the name of the Shared Account and press Return/Enter.
- Enter the current UMICH password and press Return/Enter.
- Enter the new password and press Return/Enter.
- Enter the new password again and press Return/Enter.
- When Password changed appears, enter logout and press Return/Enter.
- Exit or quit the terminal connection.