How to view and change information in your MCommunity Directory profile. Some of the information is pulled from other U-M systems and must be updated in those systems. You can add and update some information in the directory yourself.
- View Your Directory Profile
- Log In to Edit Your Profile
- Contact Information (Addresses & Phone Numbers)
- About Me
- Professional Information (ORCID)
- Your Profile Settings
- Privacy and Your MCommunity Profile
- Set Your Away Message in MCommunity
- The U-M Preferred Name Policy and Your Directory Entry
- Your Title and Affiliation in MCommunity
- Your Name and "Also Known As" Name(s) in MCommunity
- Go to the MCommunity Directory (mcommunity.umich.edu).
- Type your uniqname in the search box, then click the Search button.
- In the list of search results, click your name.
- Your profile will be displayed. This is the public view of your profile that anyone with web access can see. Information shown in the public view of your profile depends on your relationship with the university and the options you have selected.
- On any page in the MCommunity Directory, click the Log In link in the upper right corner to log in.
- Log in with your uniqname and UMICH (Level-1) password.
- To see your profile, click the My Profile link in the upper right corner.
- You will see a view of your profile that allows you to make changes.
Primary Contact Information
Update your primary addresses and phone numbers at the source. This information comes from official university records and must be updated in those records. The record to be changed depends on your relationship with the university:
Faculty and staff (all campuses).
Students at UM-Ann Arbor. Update your primary addresses and phone numbers online using Wolverine Access.
Students at UM-Dearborn. Submit address and phone number changes to the UM-Dearborn Office of Registration & Records.
Students at UM-Flint. Use the Address and Name Change Form to submit address and phone number changes to the UM-Flint Office of the Registrar.
Alumni (all campuses). No primary address and phone number are displayed. You can enter an address and phone number under the Additional heading if you wish.
Sponsored individuals (all campuses). No primary address and phone number are displayed. You can enter an address and phone number under the Additional heading if you wish.
Additional Contact Information
You can add and update alternate addresses and phone numbers in the Contact Infomation section of your directory profile.
In the Contact Information box, click Edit.
Add or edit additional contact information, then click Save.
Control Who Sees Your Contact Information
Use the Viewable By menus next to each piece of contact information to control who can see it. These are your options:
Viewable By Self Only. Will not appear in the guest view of your profile. Only you can see it, and only when you are logged in.
Viewable By U-M Only. Anyone who is logged in to the directory can see it. Students, faculty, staff, alumni, and sponsored guests can log in.
Viewable By Everyone. Anyone with web access can see it.
To see the view of your profile that people who are not logged in see, select Guest View from the menu near the upper right corner. U-M users who log in to the directory will see everything that a guest can see, plus any additional information you have designated as "Viewable by U-M Only."
Share information about yourself such as your research, academic, or work interests. There's also a place to list your favorite beverage.
Click the Edit link in the About Me section.
Use the Viewable By menu for the About Me section to choose who you want to be able to see your About Me information. Choose Viewable by Everyone to make the information public. If you choose Viewable by U-M Only, people will need to log in to see the information.
Type the information about yourself that you wish to share.
List your favorite beverage in the Favorite Beverage box if you wish.
Click Save to save the information.
If you have an Open Researcher and Contributor ID (ORCID) associated with your umich.edu email address that the U-M Library has provided to MCommunity, it will be displayed here. ORCID iDs are identification numbers used for research publications, grant submissions, and more.
- Create an ORCID iD, or associate an existing one with your MCommunity profile, using the U-M Research Identifier Management System.
- For more information about ORCID iDs at U-M, see the U-M Library's ORCID Initiative: Researcher Identifiers at the University of Michigan.
- Questions about creation and use of ORCID iDs should be directed to the U-M Library ORCID Team at email@example.com.
- The ITS Service Center can answer questions about display of ORCID iDs in MCommunity.
Set your ORCID iD to be viewable just by you or by members of the U-M community who are logged in to the MCommunity Directory, or you can leave it as viewable by everyone (the default).
Log in to the MCommunity Directory and view your profile.
In the Professional Information box, click the Edit link in the upper right corner. This box will only appear if you have an ORCID iD that has been added to MCommunity
From the Viewable By menu, select the visibility you want.
Click Save to save your changes.
- Log in to the MCommunity Directory and view your profile.
- Click the Edit link in the upper right corner of the Notice box.
- Enter the text you want and select who can view it:
- Use your Notice for anything you want to let people know about you. For example, you can let people know the best way to reach you. You might enter something like this: "Best way to reach me is through my U-M email address and this phone number — 734-555-5555."
- Use the Viewable By menu to select who can see your Notice. You can choose to limit viewing to U-M only. If you do that, only members of the U-M community who log in to MCommunity with their uniqname and UMICH password will be able to see your Notice.
- Click Save.
Proxies are individuals who can edit the information in your directory profile just as you can. For example, you might want your administrative assistant or another staff member to be able to set an Away Message for you or update other information in your profile. Proxies can be anyone with a uniqname and their own MCommunity Directory profile. Proxies log in to the directory with their own uniqname and UMICH (Level-1) password to edit your profile.
Click Add Proxy.
In the box, type the uniqname (sorry, names won't work) of the person you want to be your proxy, then click Save.
Proxies are not listed in your public profile, so you do not have the option to select who can see them. Only you (and your proxy) can see them, and you must be logged in to do so.
You can include links to web sites relevant to your academic, work, or personal life in your MCommunity Profile. You can also include links to your social media profiles, such as LinkedIn or Facebook.
Use the Viewable By menu to select who can see your Link.
Enter a link name and the URL.
Click Add Link.
When email is sent to you at firstname.lastname@example.org, the mail system checks the directory to find out where, exactly, to deliver your mail. The items under the Settings tab control aspects of the delivery of your email.
You must be logged in to see your settings. In your profile, click the Settings tab.
For the most part, you do not need to change your settings. They are configured for you when your U-M mailbox is created for you. You may, however, want to add a mail-forwarding address if you want your email forwarded to a different or additional address. For instructions, see Forwarding or Redirecting Your U-M Email Using the MCommunity Directory.
Important! Do not remove any forwarding address ending in umich.edu. These addresses are for your U-M email.
- U-M Google users. Your forwarding address will end in @go.mail.umich.edu.
- Michigan Medicine Outlook/Exchange users. Your forwarding address ends in @med.umich.edu.