Most members of the U-M community receive an eight-digit identification number—your U-M ID or UMID. It is also sometimes called the Emplid (employee ID) or entity ID. The UMID number remains with you as an identifier throughout your connection to the university, even if your affiliation changes (for example, from student to alumni) or if you have multiple affiliations (for example, alumni and staff).
You receive your UMID when you become affiliated with the university. For example, you receive a UMID when you become a student or when you are hired. Your UMID is sent to you through email as part of the admissions or hiring process. Alumni who attended U-M before 1995 may not have a UMID.
Note to U-M Units: UMIDs associated with names are classified as sensitive university data at the Moderate level. As such, they require additional protection compared to UMIDs alone.
How Your UMID Is Used
- It is printed on the front of your Mcard.
- Many units, such as the Benefits Office, ask people for this number as an identifier when providing services.
- It is a key identifier in Wolverine Access. It is required if you will receive any sort of payment from the university.
Anyone who has a regular uniqname must also have a UMID. University guests who receive temporary uniqnames (such as conference participants), do not get UMIDs. Other sponsored guests with weak identities (long term guests) also do not get UMIDs.
Can't Locate Your UMID?
Current members of the U-M community can find their UMID on their Mcard. Employees can see it in the Employee Self Service section of Wolverine Access under Employment Information.
If you cannot locate the email that contains your UMID number:
- UM-Ann Arbor. Contact the U-M Shared Services Center at 734-615-2000 or toll free at 866-647-7657. The U-M Shared Services Center is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- UM-Dearborn. Direct questions to Dearborn Human Resources at 313-593-5190 or [email protected].
- UM-Flint. Direct questions to Flint Human Resources at 810-762-3150 or [email protected].
If you cannot locate the email that contains your UMID number, contact the admissions office that is managing your admission to the university (Undergraduate Admissions, Rackham Graduate School, and so on).
Alumni who cannot find their UMID or who attended U-M before UMIDs were used for identification may contact the ITS Service Center for assistance in retrieving their UMID or creating a uniqname.
Administrative Access to UMIDs
System administrators and other IT staff who need to use UMIDs for university business can access them using a U-M Application Programming Interface (API). See the U-M API Directory for options.