Resource calendars are calendars for things you typically reserve, such as conference rooms, parking passes, or equipment. Resource calendars are created by U-M Google administrators after you have submitted an ITS Service Center ticket. If you need a calendar for any other purpose (such as a group vacation calendar), we suggest requesting a Shared Account and creating a calendar owned by that account instead.
Once a resource calendar has been created, control of that calendar is turned over to the department/unit administrator that controls the resource itself. Access to the calendar, including who can see or reserve the resource is controlled by calendar permissions, which are typically assigned to an MCommunity Group. This document is intended for staff who manage their department/unit's resource calendars.
Most resource calendars need three MCommunity groups:
- Admin group — usually local IT staff or office management staff.
- Administrative maintainers group — senior administrative staff who resolve conflicts on a resource calendar or control access to the calendar.
- All staff group — Individuals who utilize the resource.
Note: These cannot be nested or sub-groups. Only the individual membership of each group is synced to Google, not the membership of nested or sub-groups. This means any MCommunity group which is a member of another MCommunity group will not sync its members to the resource calendar.
To reach your calendar sharing permissions settings:
- In My calendars, hover over the calendar name and click the three dots.
- Select Settings and sharing.
- Under Access permissions, make sure the Make available to public and Make available for University of Michigan boxes are unchecked. If they are not unchecked, then anyone will be able to book the resource calendar.
- Under Share with specific people, click Add people to add the individuals or MCommunity groups you wish to share this calendar with.
Note: If you do not see the option to Share with specific people or edit Access permissions then you do not have permission to manage sharing for that calendar.
There are four levels of permissions in Google Calendar:
|Level||Type of access|
|See only free/busy (hide details)||
|See all event details||
|Make changes to events||
|Make changes and manage sharing||
Below is the most common security configuration for a resource calendar and how the calendar appears to campus.
Visible only to unit, reservations only by managing unit
- Make available to public: Not checked
- Make available for University of Michigan: Not checked
Share with specific people
- Admin group: Make changes and manage sharing
- Administrative maintainers group: Make changes to events
- All staff group: See all event details