Google resource calendars are calendars for things you typically reserve, such as conference rooms, parking passes, or other equipment. To create a resource calendar:
- Visit the Google at U-M Request Form
- Select Request a new Google Resource Calendar
The ITS Collaboration Services team will handle requests to create new resource calendars during regular weekday business hours.
If you need a group calendar for any other purpose (such as a group vacation calendar), we suggest requesting a Google Shared Account and creating a group calendar owned by that account instead.
Once a resource calendar has been created, control of that calendar is turned over to the department/unit administrator that controls the resource itself. Access to the calendar, including who can see or reserve the resource (using the Rooms section in a Calendar event), is controlled by calendar permissions, which are typically assigned to an MCommunity group. This document is intended for faculty and staff who manage their department/unit's Google resource calendars.
To find your resource calendar's sharing settings:
- Go to Google Calendar.
- Click the gear icon in the top right corner of the page and select Settings.
- Scroll to find the resource calendar listed under Settings for my calendars and select it.
- Ensure the Make available to public and Make available for University of Michigan boxes are unchecked under Access permissions for events. If they are not unchecked, anyone will be able to book the resource calendar.
- Click Add people and groups under Share with specific people or groups to add the individuals or MCommunity groups with which you want to share this calendar.
Note: If you do not see the option to Share with specific people or groups or edit Access permissions for events then you do not have permission to manage sharing for that resource calendar.
There are four levels of permissions in Google Calendar:
|Type of access
|See only free/busy (hide details)
|See all event details
|Make changes to events
|Make changes and manage sharing
Recommended Configuration / Sharing Settings
The recommended configuration for most resource calendars is to utilize three MCommunity groups:
- Admin group: Local Unit IT staff or office management staff.
- Administrative maintainers group: Senior administrative staff who resolve conflicts on a resource calendar or control access to the calendar.
- All staff group: Individuals who will utilize the resource.
However, how you manage access to your Google resource calendars is up to you and your department/unit.
The recommended sharing settings for a resource calendar can be found below. The recommended settings are set so the resource calendar is only visible to and reservable by the department/unit who owns the resource.
- Make available to public: Unchecked
- Make available for University of Michigan: Unchecked
- Permission levels for each recommended MCommunity group:
- Admin group: Make changes and manage sharing
- Administrative maintainers group: Make changes to events
- All staff group: See all event details