- You must contact the ITS Service Center to request a Discussion Group in the U-M Google domain. The Create Group button creates a Google Group outside of U-M Google that is not protected by our contract with Google.
- Discussion Groups are not MCommunity groups, and there is no relationship between them.
- Discussion Groups are different from Google Groups synced with MCommunity, although both can be used to send email to its members.
Discussion Groups are email-based online groups that are protected in U-M Google. These groups are requested by contacting the ITS Service Center by anyone affiliated with the University of Michigan. Provide the group name (at least nine characters) and group owners. We recommend multiple owners. Discussion Groups are created as "groupname"@discussions.umich.edu. Additional owners can be added after the group is created. Members of the group are added and managed by the owners. There is no relationship between Discussion Groups and MCommunity groups. All group management is done from within the Discussion Group.
Discussion Groups are used to:
- Engage in discussions about a specific subject
- Archive email
- Create a question and answer support group
- Organize meetings, conferences, or social events among members of a group
- Find people with similar hobbies, interests, or backgrounds
- Read group posts through email, the online interface, or both
Note: The frequency of email can be set to every post or digests
Furthermore, Discussion Groups:
- Are not synced with MCommunity
- Are not managed in MCommunity
- Must be managed within Google Groups
- Must use the setting "allow external members"
- Have an address of @discussions.umich.edu. (Email sent here goes to the group and to the group members' email if they so choose.)
Tip: To participate in discussions via email, use the group's email address "groupname"@discussions.umich.edu.
- Getting Started Guide
Important: Do not use the Create Group button referenced in this guide. Contact the ITS Service Center to have a group created in U-M Google.
- Who can View, Post and Moderate
- Add People to Your Group
Note: MCommunity groups are not available.
- Create and Respond to Posts
Finding Your Discussion Group
Go to the U-M Discussion Groups homepage.
Warning: To access U-M Discussion groups using the Google Apps drop-down list, select discussions.umich.edu after clicking My Groups.
- To view your current Discussion Groups, click My Groups on the Discussion Groups page.
- To view other publicly-available Discussion Groups at U-M, click Browse all on the same page.