Laboratory animals are expected to be maintained under species-specific living conditions. Federal regulations specify the parameters for the following: a) social housing; b) temperature of room/environment; c) enrichment; d) cage size; and e) cage sanitization. Species-specific standard practices conducted by ULAM staff adhere to the federal regulations. Deviations from these standard conditions require justification.
- Click Update next to the applicable species.
Note If no species are listed, they must first be added on the Species-Specific Animal Information page.
- Click Yes if animals under this study should be maintained according to ULAM standard practices.
Note If you selected Yes, go to step 20. If you selected No, continue to step 3.
- Click Yes if some/all animals will be singly housed for scientific reasons.
Note If you selected No, go to step 6.
- Indicate the reason(s) for single housing of animals.
Note If Other is selected, describe the reason.
- Indicate the duration of the single housing.
Note If either Permanently option is selected, enter an explanation of why animals cannot return to group housing.
- Click Yes if all enrichment devices must be withheld for scientific reasons from some/all animals.
Note If you selected No, go to step 9.
- Provide the maximum frequency and duration during which enrichment devices must be withheld from animals.
- Enter the reason(s) for withholding enrichment devices from animals.
- Click Yes if temperatures for some/all animals will be maintained outside of the standard range for scientific reasons.
Note If you selected No, go to step 13.
- Enter the temperature or temperature range outside of the standard temperature range to which the animals will be exposed.
- Enter the maximum frequency and duration during which animals will be exposed to these temperatures.
- Enter why it is necessary to maintain temperatures outside of the standard ranges.
- Click Yes if altered sanitation frequencies will be required for some/all of the animals’ cages.
Note If you selected No, go to step 16.
- Enter the required sanitation schedule and the duration of the altered sanitation.
- Enter the reason(s) for altering sanitation frequencies.
- Click Yes if non-standard enclosures and housing conditions will be required for some/all animals.
Note If you selected No, go to step 20.
- Check the applicable non-standard enclosures and/or housing condition(s).
Note If Other is selected, describe the necessary non-standard enclosures and/or housing conditions.
- For EACH non-standard enclosure/housing conditions, enter the maximum frequency and duration during which animals will be maintained within them.
- Enter the reason(s) for non-standard enclosures and/or housing conditions.
- Click OK.
- Your answers will be updated on the Details section of the Environment, Housing, and Management page.
- If changes need to be made to the housing information, click Update.
- Repeat steps 1-20 to update environment housing details for each Species on the protocol.
- Click Save.