This document explains how incoming students who do not yet have a uniqname can create a U-M Friend account and use it to check their financial aid notice in Wolverine Access.
- Why You Need a Friend Account
- Create Your Friend Account
- Verify Your Friend Account
- Check Your Financial Aid Notice
- If You Forget Your Friend Password
If you have been using a portal called Enrollment Connect during the application process, you will transition to a university online service called Wolverine Access with a different interface and different login credentials.
- You need a Friend account to log in to Wolverine Access, the system that houses financial aid information and more.
- Once you commit to attending the university and pay your enrollment deposit, you will be invited to set up your uniqname (U-M login ID) as a full member of the university community. Then you will no longer need your Friend account.
Fun fact: The Friend account name comes from the Lord of the Rings trilogy, from the riddle Gandalf and the fellowship of the ring had to solve to open the door to Moria: "Speak friend and enter."
You will need a non-university email address (one that does not end in "umich.edu") to set up a Friend account. You will receive email at that address as part of the account creation setup. This is done to verify that you own that email address.
- Go to Request a Friend Account.
- Enter your non-university email address, then click Request.
- You will see a Message Sent screen letting you know that a message has been sent to the email address you provided with further instructions.
- Open your email and look for a message from email@example.com. If you don't see the message, check your spam or junk mail folder.
- In that message, click the Create Friend Account link.
- Clicking the link will take you to the Create a Friend Account webpage.
- Enter your email address, the same one you used in Step 2 above.
- Enter and re-enter the password you want to use for your Friend account.
- Click Set Password.
- A confirmation screen lets you know that your Friend account has been created.
- You will also receive an email message confirming the creation of your Friend account and providing you with information about it. If you don't see the message, check your spam or junk mail folder.
You must go into Wolverine Access and verify your Friend account to connect it to your student record before you can check your financial aid notice.
- Go to Wolverine Access. This is a different system that has a different look and feel from the Friend account creation application.
- At the top of the page, click the Students tab.
- On the Student page, click the New and Prospective Student Business tile.
- Log in with your Friend ID (the email address you used to create your Friend account) and password.
- Verify your personal information, including your eight-digit UMID, which was emailed to you and can also be found on your Enrollment Connect portal, as well as your birth date.
After you have verified your account, you can check your financial aid notice within Wolverine Access. You will be directed to the information after verification.
If you forget your Friend password, you can reset it at Reset Friend Password.