U-M Dropbox accounts are available to all active faculty, staff, students, and Type-1 sponsored affiliates on the Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint campuses and Michigan Medicine. You will lose access immediately after your active affiliation at the university changes (i.e., after graduation, after the last day of employment, etc.). (This means alumni, retirees, and individuals who are no longer affiliated with the university do not have access to U-M Dropbox.) This document explains what steps to take before you leave the university and lose access to your U-M Dropbox account.
Warning: Sponsored affiliates will not receive a notification before their access ends.
Before You Leave U-M
Before your affiliation with U-M changes:
- Transfer ownership of files and folders you own in Dropbox.
- Download personal files to another location.
Important: @umich.edu and other UMICH email addresses (including MCommunity groups) cannot be used to create personal Dropbox accounts.
An uncooperative departure is when the affected U-M person cannot be relied on to assist with their departure.
With User Advocate involvement, U-M Dropbox administrators can assist in:
- Preserving the contents of a Dropbox account.
- Changing the ownership of Dropbox files/folders from one account to another.
- Suspending the Dropbox account’s access sooner than the automated process.
- If time-critical, downloading university data from the person’s Dropbox account.