- You must contact the ITS Service Center to request a Discussion Group in the UMICH domain. The Create Group button creates a Google Group outside of the UMICH domain that is not protected by our contract with Google.
- Discussion Groups are not MCommunity groups and there is no relationship between them.
- Discussion Groups are different than the Google Groups synced from MCommunity, although both can be used to send email to its members.
Discussion Groups are email-based online groups that are protected in the UMICH domain. These groups are requested by contacting the ITS Service Center by anyone affiliated with the University of Michigan. Provide the group name (at least 9 characters) and group owners. We recommend multiple owners. Discussion Groups are created as "group name"@discussions.umich.edu. Additional owners can be added after the group is created. Members of the group are added and managed by the owners. There is no relationship between Discussion Groups and MCommunity groups. All group management is done from within the Discussion Group.
Discussion Groups are Used to:
- engage in discussions about a specific subject.
- archive email.
- create a question and answer support group.
- organize meetings, conferences or social events among members of a group.
- find people with similar hobbies, interests or backgrounds.
- read group posts through email, the online interface or both.
Note: The frequency of email can be set to every post or digests
- are for discussions and email archiving.
- are not synced from MCommunity.
- are not managed in MCommunity.
- must be managed within Google Groups.
- have an address of @discussions.umich.edu, email sent here goes to the group, and to the group members' mailboxes if they so choose.
- can view and respond either via email or via the Google or both (can also decide on frequency of email - every post or digests.)
Tip: To participate in discussions via email, use the group's email address "group name"@discussions.umich.edu.
- Getting Started Guide
Important: Do not use the Create Group button referenced in this guide. Contact the ITS Service Center to have a group created in the UMICH domain.
- Who can View, Post and Moderate
- Add People to Your Group
Note: MCommunity groups are not available.
- Create and Respond to Posts
Finding Your Discussion Group
Go to the U-M Discussion Groups home page.
Warning: To access U-M Discussion groups using the Google Apps drop-down list , select discussions.umich.edu after clicking My Groups.
- To see your current Discussion Groups, click My Groups on the Discussion Groups page.
- To see other publicly-available Discussion Groups at U-M, click Browse all on the same page.