The instructions below are for Ubuntu Linux distribution. Instructions should be similar for other distributions.
Additional information can be found in the Cisco Release Notes for AnyConnect Client.
How to Install Cisco AnyConnect on Linux
- Download the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client for Linux.
- Extract the VPN files:
- From your file manager, navigate to the downloaded file. Double click the file and select Extract.
- From the Terminal, navigate to the downloaded file and unzip the file by entering $ tar xzf anyconnect-xxx.gz.
Note: The actual file name will contain the name of the current version of the installer (e.g., anyconnect-linux64-4.7.04056.tar.gz)
- Continuing in the Terminal, navigate to the extracted VPN folder in the Terminal:
E.g., $cd ~/Downloads/anyconnect-linux64-4.7.04056-predeply-k9/anyconnect-linux64-4.7.04056/vpn.
- Next, enter $ sudo sh vpn_install.sh. When prompted, enter your sudo password.
- Finally, accept the licensing agreement that appears with the following prompt: Do you accept the terms in the license agreement [y/n]? by entering y.
Cisco AnyConnect should now be installed. Open the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client from your applications to use.
- If the following failure message appears: Failed to start vpnagentd.service: Unit vpnagentd.service failed to load: No such file or directory you may need to add a package:
- $ sudo apt-get install lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 and
- If you are still having problems you may need an additional package:
- $ sudo apt-get install network-manager-openconnect
Finally, you may need to restart the machine before re-running the VPN installer.
Start the VPN Client
Navigate to Applications to locate the Cisco AnyConnect Client, or if you prefer to run from the command line.
- Enter the following commands:
- $ /opt/cisco/anyconnect/bin/vpn
- VPN> connect umvpn.umnet.umich.edu
- connect umvpn.umnet.umich.edu
- >> contacting host (umvpn.umnet.umich.edu) for login information...
- >> notice: Contactingumvpn.umnet.umich.edu.
- 0) Tunnel-Everything
- 1) Tunnel-UM-Only
- When prompted, authenticate using your uniqname and UMICH (Level 1) password.
Note Alumni and retirees should change the servername umvpn.umnet.umich.edu to umvpn3.umnet.umich.edu
Disconnect From the VPN
- Enter disconnect.