U-M Slack accounts are available to all active faculty, staff, students, and Type-1 sponsored affiliates on the Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint campuses and Michigan Medicine. You will lose access immediately after your active affiliation at the university changes (i.e., after graduation, after the last day of employment, etc.). (This means alumni, retirees, and individuals who are no longer affiliated with the university do not have access to U-M Slack.) This document explains what steps to take before you leave the university and lose access to your U-M Slack account.
Important: @umich.edu and other UMICH email addresses cannot be used to create new personal Slack workspaces. You must create personal Slack workspaces using a non-UMICH email address. (However, you can continue to be a member in a workspace that already exists using your @umich.edu and other UMICH email addresses.)
Before You Leave U-M
Before your affiliation with U-M ends, be sure to:
- Download any files you wish to retain.
- Consult with your Workspace Admins about obtaining a single-channel guest role using a non-UMICH email address or a sponsorship (Type-1 affiliates only) if you will need access after your affiliation ends.
An uncooperative departure is when the affected U-M person cannot be relied on to assist with their departure.
With User Advocate involvement, U-M Slack administrators can assist in:
- Suspending the individual's Slack access sooner than the automated process.
- Preserving the history of a Slack account.
- Downloading university data from the person’s Slack account if time-critical.