What can be migrated to Team Drives?
Important You must have at least the Contributor role in the destination Team Drive.
- Files of which you are Owner.
- Several files at once by multi-selecting.
What cannot be migrated to Team Drives?
- Folders cannot currently be migrated from My Drive to Team Drive.
- Files and documents of which another person is the Owner.
- If the Owner is no longer at the University of Michigan, you can submit a ticket to the Service Center and work with the Collaboration Services team.
- The Collaboration Services team is unable to move files and documents that are owned by someone external to U-M.
How will this affect other collaborators?
Note Permissions explicitly granted on individual files will be preserved. Permissions granted on (or inherited from) folders are not copied.
- File permissions and links are not changed.
- People who are not members of the Team Drive can still access the file with previously granted permissions as long as those permissions are not inherited from a folder.
- Files are no longer available from My Drive; they are moved to the Team Drive.
- Moved files remain in the user's Shared with me and Recent locations.
How to move a file into Team Drives
Note The time it takes to move a document depends upon its size.
- Drag and drop the file from My Drive to Team Drives on the left sidebar.
- A version of this pop-up message appears during the move:
- A version of the following alert appears if there are collaborators on the file’s original folder: