Important!This tool will not run on a Mac.
What is a PST?
Microsoft Outlook users may create a personal storage (.pst) file that contains archived email and calendar data. These files are stored outside of your normal mailbox on your local hard drive or shared drive. Information stored on PST files are not automatically migrated into Google and require additional steps.
Migrating PST Data
This process required downloading an application from Google that will assist in the migration process. If you do not have the ability to download and install applications on your workstation, contact your local IT support staff.
Download and Install the GAMMO tool
The G Suite Migration for Microsoft Outlook (GSMMO) tool allows you to import email, contacts, and calendar items directly from an existing Outlook profile or a standalone PST file.
- Navigate to the GSMMO page.
- Click the Download Migration Tool button.
- Install the tool on your workstation. Note: This may require an admin password.
Starting the GAMMO tool
- Launch the Google Apps Migration for Microsoft Outlook application. A login screen appears.
- Type in your full U-M email address (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Click the option for Yes I have a password.
- Enter your your UMich password or Level1 Password.
- Click Continue.
Selecting the PST
- Click the dropdown menu, and then click From PST file(s). A new window opens.
- Browse the directory for your PST file(s).
- Click the PST file to migrate, and then click Open. You are returned to the GAMMO tool.
- Verify Migrate only new data is selected.
- Click Next.
Selecting PST Data
- Click the boxes for the types of data you want migrated.
- For email, there are additional options available, including junk and deleted items. Also, there are filtering options that let you select messages that were sent or received before or after a specific date.
- Click Migrate.
Migration of PST Data
If all goes well, the tool migrates all the data into your Google account. Once the migration is complete, a notification appears. Note that for large PST files, the migration can take many hours.
During the migration, the tool may ask for you to re-enter your password. This will always occur if you did not check the box for Remember me when opening the tool. Type your password and then click OK.