When a new staff person transfers from one U-M unit to another, they keep their administrative access roles as well as Secondary Security from the previous unit. The Unit Liaison of the new unit is expected to:
- Review their access.
- Remove roles that are not needed in the new unit.
- Request updates to Add/Remove Secondary Security.
The two steps are to:
- Review the person’s existing access using the Access Validation Report in M-Reports.
- If necessary, submit an access request in the Online Access Request System (OARS) to remove roles and/or Secondary Security that are no longer needed.
Run Access Validation Report
- Log in to M-Reports.
- Under the Compliance tab, select Access Validation Report.
- Enter the staff member’s uniqname to view his/her access.
- Click Refresh.
- Review their access.
- If appropriate, check with their new manager to determine which, if any, of the roles and/or Secondary Security need to be removed.
Request access change
- Log in to the Online Access Request System (OARS).
- Click Request.
- Enter or lookup the Uniqname of the employee whose access is being removed in the User Information section.
- Click Show All Selected in the Role Selection Tool section.
Note: The list displays all of the employee's current roles. Any additional roles that are checked while creating the new request also display.
- Uncheck the box for each role to be removed.
- Review the Summary section to verify the accuracy of the request.
- Enter Additional Comments to describe the reason for the role removal.
If necessary, update Secondary Security
- In the Role Selection Tool section, navigate to Other → Secondary Security Only.
- Check the appropriate Secondary Security Only role for the system that needs to be updated.
Note: The Human Resources Administration does not have Secondary Security associated with it. Only the Student Administration and Financial & Physical Resources systems are updated this way.
- Include details about what Secondary Security needs to be changed in the Request Comments section.
Submit the request
- Click the applicable button:
- Submit for Authorization - to submit the request for approval.
- Save - to save the request for submission later.
Note: You may also request new access for the individual in this access request. Refer to Submitting Access Requests for the detailed steps.
Contact the ITS Service Center.
Wednesday, December 7, 2022