How to view and change information in your MCommunity Directory profile. Some of the information is pulled from other U-M systems and must be updated in those systems. You can add and update some information in the directory yourself.
- View Your Directory Profile
- Log In to Edit Your Profile
- Contact Information (Addresses & Phone Numbers)
- Professional Information (ORCID)
- Profile Photo
- Email Forwarding
- About Me
- Away Message
- QR Code
View Your Directory Profile
- Go to the MCommunity Directory (mcommunity.umich.edu).
- Ensure People is selected in the drop-down and enter your uniqname in the search bar.
- Click the search button.
- Click the listing which reflects your uniqname. Your profile will be displayed as visible to the public. Different degrees of visibility exist for different users.
Log In to Edit Your Profile
- On any page in the MCommunity Directory, click the Login button in the upper right corner.
- Log in with your uniqname and UMICH (Level-1) password.
- Click the My Profile in the upper right corner.
- Click Edit my information. You will be prompted to re-enter your login credentials before being taken to the UMICH Account Management Application, where you can begin editing your profile.
- You will your MCommunity profile information. Click within each field to make updates. Some items have additional customization options. (e.g., add a secondary address).
- Click Save Changes at the bottom to apply your edits.
Contact Information (Addresses & Phone Numbers)
Primary Contact Information
Update your primary addresses and phone numbers at the source. This information comes from official university records and must be updated in those records. The record to be changed depends on your relationship with the university:
- Faculty and staff (all campuses).
- Update your home addresses and phone numbers online using Wolverine Access.
- Update your work phone number(s) online using Wolverine Access.
- Work addresses can be updated using the Personal Data Changes eForm provided by the Shared Services Center.
- Students at UM-Ann Arbor. Update your primary addresses and phone numbers online using Wolverine Access.
- Students at UM-Dearborn. Submit address and phone number changes to the UM-Dearborn Office of Registration & Records.
- Students at UM-Flint. Students may update their address and phone number in the SIS (Student Information System).
- Alumni (all campuses). No primary address and phone number are displayed. You can enter an address and phone number under the Additional heading if you wish.
- Sponsored individuals (all campuses). No primary address and phone number are displayed. You can enter an address and phone number under the Additional heading if you wish.
Additional Contact Information
You can add and update alternate addresses and phone numbers through UMICH Account Management.
- Under Your Information, scroll down to Edit Your Information. Additional contact information will appear following name and photo options.
- Click Save Changes when finished.
Control Who Sees Your Contact Information
Drop down options are now available to allow you to choose who can view information. Note that basic biographical information is always public. Options include:
- Display to Me Only. Will not appear in the guest view of your profile. Only you can see it, and only when you are logged in.
- Display to U-M Only. Anyone who is logged in to the directory can see it. Students, faculty, staff, alumni, and sponsored guests can log in.
- Display to Anyone. Anyone with web access can see it. This may include people and organizations with no connection to the University.
To view your own profile w without being logged in click Logout in the top right corner of any MCommunity page. U-M users who log in to the directory will see everything that a guest can see, and any additional information you have designated as "Viewable by U-M Only."
Professional Information (ORCID)
If you have an Open Researcher and Contributor ID (ORCID) associated with your umich.edu email address that the U-M Library has provided to MCommunity, it will be displayed here. ORCID iDs are identification numbers used for research publications, grant submissions, and more.
- Create an ORCID iD, or associate an existing one with your MCommunity profile, using the U-M Research Identifier Management System.
- For more information about ORCID iDs at U-M, see the U-M Library's ORCID Initiative: Researcher Identifiers at the University of Michigan.
- Questions about creation and use of ORCID iDs should be directed to the U-M Library ORCID Team at [email protected].edu.
- The ITS Service Center can answer questions about display of ORCID iDs in MCommunity.
Profile pictures can now be added to an MCommunity Profiles to personalize accounts.
- Click Upload Photo.
- Choose the image you want to upload to your profile.
- Use the magnifying slide to adjust the image per your preferences.
- Click Upload.
- Click the Photo Privacy drop-down menu to select who the profile picture should be displayed to.
When email is sent to you at [email protected], the mail system checks the directory to find out where, exactly, to deliver your mail. Its destination can be edited as part of your profile.
- Under Edit Your Information, scroll down to Email Forwarding.
- For the most part, you do not need to change your settings. They are configured for you when your U-M mailbox is created for you. You may, however, want to add a mail-forwarding address if you want your email forwarded to a different or additional address. You may use the Add Address button below your primary forwarding address to do so.
- Click Save Changes.
MCommunity also allows you to list pronouns of your choice on your profile. There are several options, or you may enter entirely new pronouns if you desire. By default, pronouns are not specified.
- Click the Pronouns dropdown menu.
- Select from the options in the dropdown menu. Note that you can also Enter Your Own. If this option is selected, a field will appear for you to enter your chosen pronoun.
- Click the drop-down menu to select to who your pronouns should be displayed. Note that the default is Display to U-M Only.
It is now possible to include your NameBadge to your MCommunity Profile. NameBadge allows you to record your name and include the recording in your MCommunity profile to enable others to listen to, and learn to pronounce your name properly. Refer to NameCoach at U-M for more information. Once you click Manage NameCoach, the Namecoach page will open. If you have not already recorded your name using Namecoach, follow the instructions for recording your name. Once your name has been recorded, you can close the window and return to your MCommunity profile in UMICH Account Management. Select who can see your NameBadge from the Display to drop-down.
Share information about yourself such as your research, academic, or work interests.
- Click into the About Me field and type any information you’d like to include in your MCommunity Profile.
- Click the drop-down menu to the right to choose who can view this information. Display to Me Only is the default option.
- Click Save Changes.
Set your Away Message to send an automatic response to anyone who emails your umich.edu address, letting them know you are away from the office. This message will also be displayed on your MCommunity profile.
- Click to check the Set up away message checkbox.
- Enter the appropriate information in the Away Message text field.
- Choose the appropriate date from the calendar in the Begin Date field to set the date your Away Message will begin appearing on your MCommunity Profile.
- Choose the appropriate date from the calendar in the End Date field to set the date your Away Message will stop appearing in your MCommunity Profile.
- If you do not want to set an End Date for your Away Message, click to check the Indefinite End Date box. Your Away Message will appear on your MCommunity Profile until you return to your MCommunity Profile and turn it off manually.
- Click Save Changes.
You can include links to web sites relevant to your academic, work, or personal life in your MCommunity Profile. You can also include links to your social media profiles, such as LinkedIn or Facebook.
- Enter a website name and URL.
- Change display settings using the right-hand menu if desired. Display to Me Only is the default.
- Click Save Changes.
Your MCommunity profile can now include a QR code that may be used to add your information as a contact on a mobile device. In order to enable the QR code functionality, click the slider to the right of Display QR Code near the bottom of the page. By default, your QR code will include your Email and U-M Phone in your QR Code. You have the option to uncheck both options to remove them from your QR Code.