Humane endpoints, which contribute to refinement, are the earliest point at which pain or distress in an experimental animal can be prevented, terminated, or relieved.
When pain or distress is a potential or expected consequence of any animal activity, humane endpoints must be established.
Appropriate monitoring of all animals is required to address animal health and well-being before they reach their humane endpoints.
- Click Update.
- Select Yes/No if individual procedures proposed in this protocol are expected to cause more than momentary pain or distress or if the animal(s) are expected to experience more than momentary pain or distress.
Select Yes/No to provide assurance that animals will be provided with pain management drugs and/or other interventions to alleviate and relieve the expected pain, distress, and or inability to maintain normal physiology.
- This question only displays if the first question is answered Yes.
- If No is selected, provide scientific reason(s), then go to step 5.
Select Yes/No if animals will be observed or studied until death occurs.
Note If Yes is selected, scientific justification as to why an earlier endpoint is not acceptable must be provided.
Select Yes/No to provide assurance that any unforeseen or unintended adverse events or outcome(s) will be reported to a veterinarian if clinical care is required or to the IACUC.
Note If No is selected, provide rationale.
- Enter a precise definition of the humane endpoint, including assessment criteria.
Enter the minimum frequency by which animals will be monitored for the defined humane endpoints.
Enter the required action(s) once animals reach the humane endpoint.
Select Yes/No to provide assurance that alternatives to procedures that cause more than momentary or slight pain or distress have been considered.
- If No is selected, provide scientific rationale.
- For non-USDA species, the Protocol Animal Numbers by Category and Total Authorized are displayed at the bottom of the page. For USDA species, extra questions will display to be completed regarding the USDA Categories.
- Click OK.
- Click Save.