All individuals who need to access the Animal Management protocol must be entered on the Personnel page. Personnel must be U-M employees, U-M students, or have U-M Friend accounts. Only the people listed on this page and approved with the application may conduct the animal experimental procedures.
All questions must be answered and all fields filled out in order to submit the application.
- Click Yes to indicate assurance that personnel will participate only in activities for which they have been assigned and trained.
Note If No is selected, you must enter the rationale for responding "No".
- Click Yes to indicate assurance that all animal handlers will be trained to conduct the described specialized procedures before they are permitted to work independently.
Note If you selected No, you must enter the rationale.
- If applicable, enter a group email address.
Note A Lab-Wide Email Address is a group/lab email address to which non-eRAM system notifications can be sent by, for example, ULAM Husbandry or Veterinary team members.
- Click Add.
- Enter the individual’s Last Name or Uniqname or any part of either.
Tip Use percent sign (%) as a wildcard character to specify parts of words. For example, searching for %kim returns Hakim, Kim and Kimberly.
- Click Find.
- If the individual is listed in the search results, click the correct name, then go to step 7.
- If the individual is not listed, click the expand arrow next to User Not Found? for further instructions. New users can only be created by Protocol Creators.
- The contact information automatically populates from the person’s M-Pathways HR data.
- Any corrections to the Name, Office Mailing Address, or Phone Number must be confirmed through the individual’s department HR.
- (optional) Enter an Alternate Direct Phone Number if different from the UofM Phone Number.
- (optional) Enter a contact email address in the eRAM System Override Email field.
Note If entered, this address will be used to send eRAM system-generated email notifications. This will override the eRAM System Email.
- Check all the applicable boxes under Roles (Lab Contact/Email Recipient, Authorized Signer, Animal Handler, Animal Health Contact, Application/Protocol Editor, PI-Managed Care, and/or PI Proxy).
- Lab Contact/Email Recipient: Will receive all eRAM system notifications related to the protocol and is a point-of-contact for ACU Office communications
- Authorized Signer: Personnel who are authorized to spend funds on behalf of the PI for animal care, per diem, or services
- Animal Handler: Personnel who will perform any activities on live animals
- Animal Health Contact: Point-of-contact(s) for communications from ULAM
- An Animal Handler and Health Contact must be specified on the application. The roles can be filled by either the Principal Investigator or one of the listed Personnel.
- Application/Protocol Editor: personnel have the ability to start amendments and make changes to the protocol/amendment during the review process
- PI-Managed Care: Any person on your protocol that performs and is responsible for direct animal care on a regular basis. Must be approved by IACUC. Tasks include:
- Identifying clinical and behavioral signs of illness in animals and reporting accordingly.
- Transferring animals to clean cages.
- Cleaning equipment located inside animal rooms.
- Sweeping/mopping and sanitation of animal rooms.
- Trash removal.
- Changing paper liners in animal cages.
- Prepping and organizing supplies in response to rodent health management procedures.
- Stocking supplies in animal rooms and taking inventory of items needed.
- Other administrative tasks related to animal care such as scheduling of student help for husbandry care, emergency coverage, weekend care, etc.
- Documenting animal care activities.
- PI Proxy: Person delegated by the PI to perform certain actions that are limited to the PI Role
- It should be selected in addition to the other applicable Protocol Roles.
- If a PI Proxy performs any PI only functions, the PI is still responsible for the Protocol and the items in the Principal Investigator's Assurance.
- The Application/Protocol Editor, Husbandry Care and PI Proxy roles can only be added by the Principal Investigator.
- Click OK or OK and Add Another.
- To add more Personnel, repeat steps 4–11.
- The contact information and roles for each listed person can be edited by clicking Update. If the person should not be on the application, click delete (delete) to remove their information.
- Click Save or Finish.
Wednesday, December 14, 2022