This document is intended for Non-MiWorkspace customers who have received a replacement computer (for example, after a theft). It demonstrates how to install CrashPlan and restore data from your previous computer to your new computer.
Important! The University of Michigan Medical Health Information Technology & Services (HITS) also uses CrashPlan for a service called Data Guard. This document and the ITS Service Center do not cover the use of this service. For more information, please contact HITS.
Learn more about Desktop Backup, powered by CrashPlan, including system requirements, features, and rates. View additional CrashPlan resources for non-MiWorkspace customers.
Download and Install Code42 CrashPlan Client
This action requires that you have administrator rights on your computer. If you do not, contact your local IT department.
- Navigate to the CrashPlan website.
- Enter your uniqname (do not include @umich.edu) and UMICH (Level-1) password.
- Click Sign In.
- Click on App Downloads on the left side banner, and then download the correct app for your Operating System.
- Open the downloaded file to start the CrashPlan Setup Wizard.
- Click Next.
- Check Accept for the License Agreement and click Next when prompted.
- Select Install for Everyone unless you are using a shared computer. If you are using a shared computer, select Only for Me.
Note If Code42 is installed on a shared computer, it only backs up data when the user is logged in.
- Click Install.
- Click Finish.
Log In to CrashPlan
- Launch the Code42 CrashPlan application.
Windows: Click the Start menu, type code42 in the search box, and press Enter.
Mac: In the Dock, open Finder, click Applications, and then click Code42.
- Enter your full UMICH email address ([email protected]) in the Username field, and then click Continue.
- The Server Address will default to client.us2.crashplan.com.
- To sign in using a shared account, enter the shared account name and append @umich.edu to the end.
- Sign in to U-M Microsoft Office 365 with your full UMICH email address and UMICH (Level-1) password (or shared account password, if applicable).
- Click Sign In, and then complete Duo Two-Factor authentication.
Replace Existing Computer and Restore Files
- After logging in, CrashPlan will ask you if you would like to Add New Device or Replace Existing. Select Replace Existing, and then click Start.
- Click Restore Files and select your old computer from the drop-down list.
- Click the checkbox to select your Users folder, as well as any other folders/locations you want to restore.
Important! Note that any files not restored will be permanently deleted after 30 days.
- Click Restore Files.
- Click the applicable Restore Files Options dropdown menus to:
- select Original for the location where the file(s) will be saved;
- choose if a file that already exists in the selected location will be renamed or overwritten;
- select the permissions associated with the file(s). Unless you’re familiar with permissions, it’s recommended to leave this set to Current.
- Click Go.