This document is intended for Non-MiWorkspace customers who have already installed Code42 (formerly CrashPlan) on an initial device and wish to install Code42 on an additional/personal device.
Important! The University of Michigan Medical Health Information Technology & Services (HITS) also uses Code42 for a service called Data Guard. This document and the ITS Service Center do not cover the use of this service. For more information, please contact HITS.
This action requires that you have administrator rights on your computer. If you do not, contact your local IT department.
- Navigate to the Code42 website on your personal/additional device.
- Enter your uniqname (do not include @umich.edu) and UMICH (Level-1) password.
- Click Sign In.
- Click on App Downloads on the left side banner, and then download the correct app for your Operating System.
- Open the downloaded file to start the Code42 Setup Wizard.
- Click Next.
- Check Accept for the License Agreement and click Next when prompted.
- Select Install for Everyone unless you are using a shared computer. If you are using a shared computer, select Only for Me.
Note If Code42 is installed on a shared computer, it only backs up data when the user is logged in.
- Click Install.
- Click Finish.
Log In to Code42
- Launch the Code42 application.
Windows: Click the Start menu, type code42 in the search box, and press Enter.
Mac: In the Dock, open Finder, click Applications, and then click Code42.
- Enter your full UMICH email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Username field, and then click Continue.
- The Server Address will default to central.crashplan.com.
- To sign in using a shared account, enter the shared account name and append @umich.edu to the end.
- Sign in to U-M Microsoft Office 365 with your full UMICH email address and UMICH (Level-1) password (or shared account password, if applicable).
- Click Sign In, and then complete Duo Two-Factor authentication.
- After logging in, Code42 will ask you if you would like to Add New Device or Replace Existing. Select Add New, and then click Start.
- Click Manage Files.
- Verify the correct folders are selected for backup, or click the checkboxes to select additional folders/locations you want to back up.
Note It is not necessary to back up the entire hard drive as Code42 cannot do full operating system restores. Nor is it necessary to select already backed up locations, such as Box Sync. Rather, select only locations where you regularly save files.
- Click Save. Your backup will begin immediately.