This document provides instructions for MiWorkspace customers who have CrashPlan installed on their MiWorkspace-supported computer and wish to install CrashPlan on a personal device.
View CrashPlan information for non-MiWorkspace customers.
Important! The University of Michigan Medical Health Information Technology & Services (HITS) also uses CrashPlan for a service called Data Guard. This document and the ITS Service Center do not cover the use of this service. For more information, please contact HITS.
If you have previously set up CrashPlan on a device (e.g., your work computer) and you would like to install CrashPlan on a personal device, complete the following steps.
This action requires that you have administrator rights on your computer.
- Navigate to the CrashPlan website.
- Enter your full UMICH email address (email@example.com) in the Username field, and then click Sign In.
Note To sign in using a shared account, enter the shared account name and append @umich.edu to the end.
- Sign in to U-M Microsoft Office 365 with your full UMICH email address and UMICH (Level-1) password.
Note To sign in using a shared account, enter the shared account name and append @umich.edu to the end, and then enter the shared account password.
- Complete Duo Two-Factor authentication, if prompted.
- Click on App Downloads on the left side banner and select your Operating System.
- Open the downloaded file to start the Code42 Setup Wizard.
- Click Next.
- Check Accept for the License Agreement and click Next when prompted.
- Select Install for Everyone unless you are using a shared computer. If you are using a shared computer, select Only for Me.
Note If CrashPlan is installed on a shared computer, it only backs up data when the user is logged in.
- Click Install.
- Click Finish.
- Launch the Code42 CrashPlan application.
Windows: Click the Start menu, type code42 in the search box, and press Enter.
Mac: In the Dock, open Finder, click Applications, and then click Code42.
- Enter your full UMICH email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Username field, and then click Continue.
- The Server Address will default to clients.us2.crashplan.com.
- To sign in using a shared account, enter the shared account name and append @umich.edu to the end.
- Sign in to U-M Microsoft Office 365 with your full UMICH email address and UMICH (Level-1) password (or shared account password, if applicable).
- Click Sign In, and then complete Duo Two-Factor authentication. Once successfully logged in, close the web browser and return to the Code 42 CrashPlan application, which should already be open.
- After logging in, CrashPlan will ask you if you would like to Add New Device or Replace Existing. Select Add New, and then click Start.
- Click Manage Files.
- Verify the correct folders are selected for backup, or click the checkboxes to select additional folders you want to back up.
Note It is not necessary to back up the entire hard drive as CrashPlan cannot restore full operating systems. Nor is it necessary to select already backed-up locations, such as Box Sync.
- Click Save. Your backup will begin immediately.