M-Inform: Disclosure Criteria

University policy requires disclosure of any outside interests, activities, or relationships that relate or are similar to your U-M responsibilities or area of scholarship. Select all of the following that apply to you, your spouse, domestic partner, and/or dependent(s) (include anything for the past 12 months or the next 30 days):

Do not disclose any salary, grants, contracts, or sponsored activities that you receive from or through the University of Michigan. If you are still uncertain whether or not you need to disclose an activity, please email coi.support@umich.edu.

Paid or unpaid outside activities or relationships (including foreign affiliations and medical-volunteer activities)

Examples requiring disclosure:

  • Appointment or visiting scholar at a foreign institution
  • Consulting or advisory role (e.g., scientific, strategic, or medical advisory board)
  • Service on a Board of Directors or as a Corporate Officer or Trustee
  • Consulting for a federal funding agency or federal committee
  • Spouse, domestic partner, or dependent works/consults for a company that sponsors your research
  • Received payment from a professional society

Exceptions not requiring disclosure:

  • Membership in a professional society
  • NIH/NSF or other federal agency study section or U.S. Government proposal review committee
  • Officer in Parent-Teacher Association
  • Boy/Girl Scout leader

Ownership in a company or business (including equity, stock, or stock options)


  • Company that sponsors university research
  • Company doing business with U-M
  • Vendor/supplier that does business with U-M
  • Start-up company

Exceptions not requiring disclosure:

  • Income from investment vehicles, such as mutual funds and retirement accounts, as long as you do not directly control the investment decisions made in these vehicles

Intellectual Property that is optioned, licensed, or marketed


  • Royalties (including royalties paid through U-M)
  • Marketed software apps
  • Milestone payments
  • Option fees

Exceptions not requiring disclosure:

  • Book royalties

Received payment, compensation, loan, or items of value


  • Payment from the Chinese Thousand Talents Program or other Talents Programs
  • Research support (e.g., grants/contracts) from a foreign entity that did not route through U-M
  • A loan from a company that also sponsors research at U-M
  • Consulting fees from a company
  • Gift of phone from telecommunications company

Exceptions not requiring disclosure:

  • Student loans

Travel expenses reimbursed directly to you by an outside organization:

Disclosure is required for the following faculty and staff or circumstance:

  • U-M Health System, College of Pharmacy, Life Sciences Institute, and Taubman College of Architecture & Urban Planning: all travel regardless of value.
  • School of Dentistry or School of Kinesiology: all travel that exceeds $5,000 from the same outside organization (other than the exceptions below), in aggregate, within the last 12 months.
  • Individuals (other than those above) who have or expect funding from agencies that follow the Public Health Services (PHS) FCOI guidelines (e.g., NIH) must disclose travel that exceeds $5,000 from the same outside organization, in aggregate, within the last 12 months.

Exceptions not requiring disclosure: Travel paid for by a:

  • U.S. Federal, state, or local government agency
  • U.S. accredited non-profit institution of higher education or its affiliated teaching hospital, medical center, or research institute
  • Sponsored research project/grant or otherwise paid solely by U-M

For definitions of terms associated with outside interest disclosure and conflicts of interest, see the M-Inform Glossary on the UMOR Research Ethics & Compliance website.

Last Updated: 
Thursday, September 19, 2019