This document covers the process used by alumni who graduated before uniqnames were used at U-M to create a uniqname. Alumni who do not currently have a uniqname can follow this process to create one, along with a U-M Google Apps account that includes Mail, Calendar, Drive, and more.
What Is a Uniqname?
Your uniqname is your U-M user name. It is used for logging in to U-M websites, online services, systems, and more. Uniqnames are made up of three to eight alphabetic characters (for example, bjensen).
Before You Begin
You will need some information about yourself ready so we can verify your identity. In addition to your first and last name, date of birth, and year of first U-M degree, you will need one of the following:
- UMID (About Your UMID)
- Alumni ID (a number 7–10 digits long)
- Last 4 digits of your Social Security number
Create Your Uniqname
- Go to Uniqname & Account Setup (for Alumni).
- On the Verify Identity page, fill in the required identity information, then click Submit.
- On the Set Uniqname page, choose what you want your uniqname to be. You can ask for suggestions to choose from or check to see if a particular uniqname you'd like is available. Once you have chosen a uniqname, click Set Uniqname.
- An Are You Sure? dialog box will pop up asking you to confirm your selection. Click Set to confirm.
- On the Set UMICH Password page, choose your UMICH (Level-1) password. Choose a strong password, then click Set Password. (See Choosing and Changing a Secure UMICH (Level-1) Password for tips for choosing a strong password.)
- On the Set Account Recovery page, provide a mobile phone number (capable of receiving texts) or a non-UMICH email address where you can be contacted in case you forget your UMICH password. The account recovery contact information you provide is where we will send you a password reset code if you forget your password. After entering the information, click Set Account Recovery.
- Optional: You will be given the option to set up two-factor authentication (Duo), which provides additional security for your account. You can enroll a device or phone number in Duo that you will use in conjunction with your uniqname and password when logging in. You may skip this step if you do not want to use two-factor.
- You will see the Your Uniqname Is Set! screen with confirmation that your uniqname has been set and the following information about your your U-M email and calendar account:
Information for Alumni
- Your new Google at U-M account includes Mail, Calendar, Drive, and more (log in at email.umich.edu).
- Email sent to your email@example.com address will be delivered to your new U-M Google account.
- Want that mail forwarded elsewhere? See Forwarding Your U-M Email Using the MCommunity Directory.