Owners of MCommunity groups are able to restrict who can send email to that MCommunity Group. This document provides instructions for restricting who can email an MCommunity Group.
Note: Only Group Owners have the ability to set restrictions on who can email an MCommunity Group. MCommunity Groups default to anyone emailing the entire group unless at least one restriction is established, such as adding a Permitted Sender.
Restrict who can Email an MCommunity Group
- Log in to the MCommunity Directory and click My Groups.
- Click the appropriate MCommunity for which you want to restrict who can email the group.
- Click edit in the Settings section of the MCommunity Group page.
- Click to check or uncheck the options in the Restrict who can send messages to this group section.
- Members - This option will enable members of the group to email the group. If you uncheck this option, members will receive messages sent by any added Permitted Senders, but not have the ability to email the group.
- Anyone with a umich.edu address - This option will enable any member of the U-M community to email the group.
- Uncheck all options - This option will restrict anyone from emailing this group if a Permitted Sender is designated. Note that MCommunity Group email defaults to open unless at least one restriction is established, such as adding a Permitted Sender.
- If applicable, type the email address of the individual you wish to add in the Other Permitted Senders field. You may add both umich.edu and external email addresses.
- If you add a umich.edu address, email from the med.umich.edu address (if applicable) will also be seen as sent from a Permitted Sender.
- Adding a group email address will NOT allow members of that group to be Permitted Senders.
- Add other Permitted Senders by clicking +Add Permitted Sender.
- If applicable, type the email address of the individual you wish to add to Who receives messages from an unpermitted sender. Unpermitted Message Recipients will receive these emails with [Disallowed] in the subject line.
Note: Additional individuals can be added by clicking +Add Unpermitted Message Recipient. If no one is added as an Unpermitted Message Recipient, any emails sent to restricted MCommunity groups will fail and the sender will receive a mail failure message.
- Click Save.
Wednesday, July 27, 2022