The managed Windows OS team offers the following guest OS upgrade/replacement options:
- Side-by-side system replacement (minimum downtime)
- Deploy a brand new virtual server and move data from the old to the new system
- Retire the old system after services have been moved
- New system will have a different IP address
- Network firewall rules will be cloned to the new host
- Operating system swap (retain system name and IP address)
- Replace the existing operating system boot volume with a clean install of a new OS
- System name and IP address will be cloned from the original host
- Additional data volumes are preserved
- Network firewall rules are preserved
- In-place OS upgrades are not supported (installing a new OS on top of an old OS)
In all upgrade scenarios the MiServer team will deliver a freshly installed operating system of your choice, and customers are responsible for re-installing applications and migrating data to the new system.
Side-by-side system replacement is the preferred upgrade method as it provides minimum downtime and maximum flexibility in configuring and testing the new installation before cutting services over.
To get started:
Visit the UM IT Services portal
For a side-by-side migration: order a new server with the desired hardware specifications and operating system of choice. Please include any firewall requests in the additional needs field.
For an operating system swap: from the IT services portal select to manage your MiServer subscriptions. Select Update for the system to be modified, and request an operating system swap in the Additional Details text field and specify the managed OS version needed. A MiServer representative will consult with you throughout the process.
Please contact the MiServer team via ServiceLink at MiServer.Support@umich.edu.