This document provides instructions for enrolling your smartphone or tablet in Duo so you can use it for two-factor authentication (2FA) with systems that require Duo two-factor and Weblogin-protected systems with two-factor turned on.
Need help? Contact the ITS Service Center.
- You need a desktop or laptop computer on which to do the enrollment steps.
- You need your smartphone or tablet on which you will download the Duo Mobile app and activate it. Duo Mobile can be downloaded on the following types of devices: iOS (iPhone, iPad, or paired Apple Watch), Android (smartphone or tablet), or Windows Phone. It is not available on Blackberry phones or Kindle tablets.
- If you previously installed the Duo Mobile app on a device whose operating system version is no longer supported by Duo, it will continue to work, but it cannot be restored or re-added to the device if you remove it.
- We recommend that you enroll in both a primary and backup method for two-factor authentication.
- U-M will only use your phone number for the Duo service, and you can modify or remove it from the system at any time. If you don't wish to provide your phone number when configuring your smartphone, you can enroll it as a tablet.
- Not sure which option you want to use? Refer to Options for Two-Factor Authentication for more information.
- To use an Apple Watch, enroll the paired iPhone. Then use the companion Watch app on the iPhone to show the Duo app on your Apple Watch.
- To use an Android smartwatch, enroll the paired phone and ensure that notifications are enabled on the phone. There is not a stand-alone Duo Mobile app available for Android smartwatches. To approve authentications, your phone must be unlocked. If your phone is normally locked, you can enable Smart Lock in order to approve notification actions.
- On your mobile device, download and install the free Duo Mobile app from your device’s app store. For detailed steps, refer to Install the Duo Mobile App.
- From a desktop or laptop computer, go to UMICH Account Management.
- Log in with your uniqname and UMICH (Level-1) password.
- Click Manage Two-Factor for Weblogin to enroll your first device, or to enroll an additional device, click Manage Duo Devices.
- If this is the first time you are enrolling, click Start setup. Or to add an additional device, click Add a phone or tablet.
- To enroll a smartphone, select Mobile phone, or, to enroll a tablet, select Tablet, then click Continue.
- If you are enrolling a smartphone:
- Enter your device's phone number (tablet users will skip this step automatically).
- Click the checkbox to verify it’s the correct number.
- Click Continue.
Note: If you are enrolling a shared phone, you may need to complete an extra verification step. Follow the onscreen prompts to do so.
- Choose your device's operating system, then click Continue.
- Click I have Duo Mobile installed.
Note: If you have not yet installed the Duo Mobile app, follow the onscreen instructions to install it or refer to Installing the Duo Mobile App.
- Open the Duo Mobile app on your device.
- Use the Duo Mobile app’s built-in barcode scanner to scan the barcode on screen.
- Click Continue.
- If desired, select a different option in the When I log in drop-down list.
Important! The default is Ask me to choose an authentication method, which means you will need to initiate an authentication prompt when you log in (e.g., click Send me a Push or Call Me). The other options are Automatically send this device a Duo Push or Automatically call this device.
- Click Continue to Login.
- Complete a two-factor authentication method (Send Me a Push, Call Me, or Enter a Passcode).
Note: If you enrolled:
- An iPhone and want to use the Duo Mobile app on an Apple Watch, use the companion Watch app on the iPhone to show the Duo Mobile app on your Apple Watch.
- An Android smartphone, you can receive and approve Duo push notifications on a paired smartwatch if you ensure that notifications are enabled on the phone. To approve authentications, your phone must be unlocked. If your phone is normally locked, you can enable Smart Lock in order to approve notification actions.