This document provides instructions for enrolling your landline telephone or non-smart cell phone in Duo so you can use it for two-factor authentication (2FA) with systems that require Duo two-factor and Weblogin-protected systems with two-factor turned on.
Need help? Contact the ITS Service Center.
- Note that standard text messaging and phone call rates apply when using a phone for two-factor authentication.
- We recommend that you enroll both a primary and backup method for two-factor authentication. You can enroll more than two phone numbers.
- U-M will only use your phone number for the Duo service, and you can modify or remove it from the system at any time.
- If you plan to use a shared phone to authenticate, you need to be at that phone when authenticating. If you receive a Duo authentication phone that you did not initiate, press 9 to report fraud.
- Not sure which option you want to use? Refer to Options for Two-Factor Authentication for more information.
For best results, complete these steps on a desktop or laptop computer.
- Go to Turn On Two-Factor (Duo) for Weblogin.
- Log in with your uniqname and UMICH (Level-1) password.
- If this is the first time you are enrolling, click Continue. If you already enrolled a device, click Enroll a backup or alternate device, complete a two-factor authentication method (Send Me a Push, Call Me, or Enter a Passcode), and click +Add a new device.
- If this is the first time you are enrolling, click Start setup.
- To enroll a non-smart cell phone, select Mobile phone, or, to enroll a landline phone, select Landline, then click Continue.
- On the Enter your phone number screen:
- Enter your phone number.
- If you selected Landline on the previous screen, you will have the option to enter an extension.
- Click the checkbox to verify it’s the correct number.
- Click Continue.
- If you are enrolling a shared landline and are not the first person to enroll it, you need to be at the phone to complete the following verification: click Call Me, enter the 6-digit verification code, click Verify, and then click Continue.
- If you selected the Mobile phone option on the previous screen, select Other (and cell phones), then click Continue.
- If desired, select a different option in the When I log in drop-down list.
Important! The default is Ask me to choose an authentication method, which means you will need to initiate an authentication prompt when you log in (e.g., click Send me a Push or Call Me). The other options are Automatically send this device a Duo Push or Automatically call this device.
- Click Continue to Login.
- Complete a two-factor authentication method (Call Me or Enter a Passcode)
- You have completed the steps to enroll a device in Duo and turn on two-factor for Weblogin. Use the links to review best practices or enroll a backup device, or close the browser window to exit.