This document outlines the procedure for subscribing to an API.
Before You Begin
- Submit a request to join the API portal using the web form on the Getting Started page.
- Once your request is approved, you will receive 2 emails. In the second email, the long URL will take you to the activation page of API portal.
The same information from the simulation above is explained in a step-by-step format.
- Log in to the API portal using your UMICH credentials.
- Click the Apps tab.
- Click Create new App.
- Enter a Title.
- Click Submit.
- Check the Show Client Secret box. Copy this URL and store it securely.
Important: You will need both the Client Secret and Client ID for getting the access token. This is your only opportunity to record the Client Secret.
- Check the Show box next to the Client ID field. Copy this Client ID and store it securely.
- Click the API Products tab.
- Click the API you want to subscribe to.
- Click Subscribe.
- Turn on the radio button for the application you just created.
- Click Subscribe.
- If it is a public API, the request will be automatically approved.
- If it is a restricted API, you will need to wait until the API owner approves the request. An email notification will be sent upon approval or denial.
Note: It is recommended that you test the API before coding it into your application. Complete the following steps in the API portal to test:
- Log in to the API Portal.
- Click API Products.
- Click the API product you subscribed to.
- Click on the API in the left navigation.
- Select the Client ID from the drop-down list.
Note: All of your applications will display in this list.
- Enter the Client Secret.
- Click Authorize.
- Enter the Parameter.
- Click Call Operation.
Note: The data will display below. If you receive an error, reach out to the contact person/group for the API.