What are the supported Databases that are being offered?
• Currently we are supporting MS SQL 2012 and 2014, MySQL 5.7 database on RedHat Linux 7, and Oracle on 11.2 and 12.1 on
RedHat Linux 6. Shared Oracle databases will be hosted on 11.2.
What is the difference between a dedicated vs. shared instance?
• A shared Instance is hosting of a database with several other databases on a standardized SQL server versus a dedicated have their own SQL instance on a dedicated hardware with more administrative privilege.
Who will get a shared database versus a dedicated database?
• A customer who has standard configuration needs and is using a small or medium size database will get a shared database instance. A customer who has specialized configurations, or has a large database or a heavy resource/transaction processing would get a dedicated instance. If a person has specialized security needs we would also provide them with a dedicated instance, although all of our servers offer the same level of protection.
What support can I get with MiDatabase?
• All databases come with 24/7 service restoration assistance. All MiDatabase servers will be monitored 24X7 by oncall DBA.
How can I change who has access to my database?
• You can use the portal request system to add/remove those who can access your database.
What TCP port is available for my database?
• MS SQL: Only 14330 port is available.
• MySQL : Only port 3306 is available.
• Oracle: Only port 1521 is available.
Do I have to have all my servers through ITS or can I have a App server that I’m hosting and purchase a database server from ITS?
• You can have any combination of servers that either you host or ITS hosts. Through the portal we allow you to change IP/Firewall configurations to allow your servers to talk to each other.
What happened if my server reaches capacity? Will it just stop working?
• No, we will auto grow your server to the next increment size we offer. If you are growing too large, we will move you to a dedicated instance. If you remove data and decrease your size, you will still be charged at the last size you grew to until you modify your configuration.
Will I be updated if I’m close to reaching capacity?
• Yes, ITS will notify you when you are within 10% of capacity.
Will I be notified if the service needs to be taken down?
• For non-emergency maintenance, we will notify customers 3 weeks in advance and use the designated maintenance window of Saturday 11:00pm – Sunday 7:00am. This maintenance will occur no more than 4 times per year. For emergency maintenance, every effort will be made to notify users; however, we may not be able to send out a notice until after the issue has been discovered and/or repaired.
What are my options for transaction recovery?
• Point time recovery can be achieved for databases using our standard configuration. The MiDatabase service leverages platform-specific backup utilities to write compressed database backups to a file system on the server. Backup files are copied to tape and offsite and retained for 30 days. For a quicker recovery time objective, databases can also be replicated to an alternate data center for the cost of the required resources.
How do I request service assistance?
You can also reach out to the ITS Service Center:
Mon–Thurs, 7 a.m.–7 p.m. | Fri, 7 a.m.–6 p.m. | Sun, 2–7 p.m.
Chat (Mon–Fri, 8 a.m.–5 p.m.)