External apps provide additional functionality when added to a course. Instructors can add apps to their course in two ways:
- Enable U-M preconfigured external apps (Box, Piazza, LectureTools, My Media, Media Gallery, i>clicker)
- Add additional apps through the Canvas app store
Enabling External Apps
Various external applications (LectureTools, Piazza, Box, etc.) are added to every course; however, these apps are disabled so that they do not appear in your course's navigation by default. If you would like any of these external apps to display in your course's navigation, open your course in Canvas and complete the following steps.
Note: If the external app you wish to enable does not display in the list, it may still be possible to add it to your course. Contact the ITS Service Center (4-HELP) for assistance.
- Click Settings in the course navigation.
- Click the Navigation tab.
- Click and drag the external app you wish to enable from the bottom list (hidden items) to the top list (enabled items), and drop it in the desired position.
- Click Save.
- Repeat these steps to enable additional external apps, as desired.